What is a 'sports' game?
Sports is an extremely popular and versatile floor game. The template can be used to produce soccer, basketball, tennis, volleyball, golf, and hockey themed games.
Great ways to use the Sports template
- Display a logo or brand in a playful way
- Add experiential elements inside a store
- Entertain customers waiting in line
Education & Health:
- Encourage active, social play
- Create a themed experience for a clinic or school
- Support creativity and imaginative play (i.e. use colors and graphics inspired by your favorite local sports team)
- Add a beautifully themed game for a tradeshow or promotional pop-up - a great way to give away swag!
- Create a themed sports game for any event
- Encourage social image and video sharing (this game is extremely Instagram friendly)
How to prepare your images
This app requires additional graphics. We highly recommend downloading the graphics used in this tutorial to use as a reference when designing your own graphics.
All images should be saved as png files. Background, Mask, Logo, and Field Overlay images should be made with the final resolution and aspect ratio of your installation display in mind.
The Mask, Idle, Logo, Net, Scoreboard, Goal Scored Particles, and Game Over images should be saved as pngs with an alpha channel (transparent background). The Goal Scored Particles should be 20px square or less.
Video backgrounds work best if they are MP4/H264 compression, and they should be rendered to match the resolution and aspect ratio of your installation display. Videos that are a seamless loop under 60s in length will perform best.
We recommend that videos be under 500MBs for smooth performance. The limit for all assets combined is 1GB, but each template produces a slightly different size by default based on the template itself and the other assets included.
If you want to add background audio to your effect, you can add looped audio to the video.
How to use the LUMOplay Motion Maker Sports template
We recommend connecting your final installation display to your computer as a second monitor so you can preview your final app on the intended display. If you have a full LUMOplay installation connected to your computer (including a display and a camera), you will be able to test your app as you build it.
1. Open LUMOplay, select Motion Maker from the left menu, and click Create next to the Sports template.
2. When the template launches, give your app a name and click anywhere on the grey bar marked Overlays to open the first menu. (NOTE: the tools may look different on your computer, particularly if you are using multiple monitors.)
3. Click the folder icon underneath each item to choose the appropriate image. All overlay images are optional. The Idle image will appear on the screen when no one is interacting. Note that this image will be positioned in the center of the screen, so it will cover the ball unless you leave space in the center. It can be used as a call-to-action (i.e. Move to Play) or to display a message or logo when no one is playing.
4. If you'd like to make your projected image a custom shape, you can upload a Mask image. This example does not use a Mask. The Mask image sits on top of everything else except the Idle Image. You can also add a Logo image.
5. Open the Background menu and click the folder icon to choose your background image or video.
6. Open the Sounds menu and choose one of the sound options. You can also adjust the volume or turn the sound off.
7. Open the Field menu and choose your Field and Net graphics. Use the sliders to position the field and nets. NOTE: It's best to use the downloadable graphics included with this tutorial as a reference when designing your net.
8. Open the Scoreboard menu and choose your Scoreboard graphic. Choose the total goal limit (the number of goals a player must score to win the game). Use the sliders to adjust the scoreboard size and position. NOTE: It's best to use the downloadable graphics included with this tutorial as a reference when designing your scoreboard.
9. Open the Game Over menu and choose your Game Over graphic. You may want to set the goal limit to 1 (in the Scoreboard menu) while you're testing the Game Over graphic and adjusting the size.
10. Open the Ball menu and choose your Ball style. Use the slider to adjust the ball size.
11. Open the Goal Scored Particles menu and click the folder icon to add your particles. Use the slider to adjust the particle behaviour, size, and stream width.
When you're finished, click Save and close the template by clicking the X or hitting esc. Don't forget to give your app a name!
NOTE: If you forget to name your app, or if you accidentally close it before you're finished, it will automatically be saved to the Drafts section in LUMOplay's Motion Maker, so you can edit it again.
Publishing your Sports app
Playmaker: When you're ready to publish your app to your account, click Publish and confirm. You will not be able to edit the app after it's been published.
Wait for your app to upload.
You will find your app in the APPS list in your LUMOplay software. If you can't find it right away, use the search field to look for it by name. It will be available to every license in your account.
Playground & Free: Upload your app to save a copy to the LUMOplay server. You will be able to continue editing your app until you purchase it.
Each time you upload your app, you will be given an option to purchase it or upgrade to LUMO Playmaker and publish an unlimited number of Motion Maker apps.
When you are ready to purchase your app, you can click Purchase and you will be redirected to LUMOplay.com and prompted to log in. When you're logged in, you will be taken directly to the cart page to purchase your app.
Once the app has been purchased, it will appear in your APPS list in your LUMOplay software, and you will be able to search for it by name.
Still have questions? Contact us!