What is a 'fog reveal' effect?
Fog Reveal is a very popular and versatile type of interactive effect for floor and wall projection and window displays. The effect is considered a type of 'reveal', in that the foreground image becomes transparent when movement or touch is detected, revealing an image or video background.
Great ways to use the Fog Reveal template
- Reveal a logo or brand in a playful way
- Add experiential elements inside a store
- Entertain customers waiting in line
Education & Health:
- Encourage active play
- Create a themed experience for a clinic or school
- Support curriculum (i.e. search for items hidden in the background, sensory experiences)
- Add a beautiful themed effect to a wedding aisle or entryway
- Create an interactive dance floor
- Encourage social image and video sharing (this effect is extremely Instagramable)
How to prepare your images
All images should be saved as png files. Background, Foreground, Mask and Logo images should be made with the final resolution and aspect ratio of your installation display in mind.
The Mask, Idle, and Logo images should be saved as png with an alpha channel (transparent background).
Video backgrounds work best if they are MP4/H264 compression, and they should be rendered to match the resolution and aspect ratio of your installation display. Videos that are a seamless loop under 60 seconds in length will look best.
If you want to add background audio to your effect, you can add looped audio to the video.
How to use the LUMOplay Motion Maker Fog Reveal template
We recommend connecting your final installation display to your computer as a second monitor so you can preview your final app on the intended display. If you have a full LUMOplay installation connected to your computer (including a display and a camera), you will be able to test your app as you build it.
1. Open LUMOplay, select Motion Maker from the left menu, and click Create next to the Fog Reveal template.
2. When the template launches, give your app a name and click anywhere on the grey bar marked Overlays to open the first menu. (NOTE: the tools may look different on your computer, particularly if you are using multiple monitors.)
3. Click the folder icon underneath each item to choose the appropriate image. All overlay images are optional. The Idle image will appear on the screen when no one is interacting. It can be used as a call-to-action (i.e. Move to Play) or to display a message or logo when no one is playing.
4. If you'd like to make your projected image a custom shape, you can upload a Mask image. The Mask image sits on top of everything else except the Idle Image. In this example, the mask image is a frame of shells. You can also add a Logo image.
5. Add the Foreground Image. This is the image that will cover your image or video background.
6. Open the Background menu and click the folder icon to choose your background image or video.
7. Open the Fog menu and adjust the sliders to change the size of the area being revealed, how long the reveal lasts after movement ends, and the blur of the reveal (changes the definition of the edges).
When you're finished, click Save and close the template by clicking the X or hitting esc. Don't forget to give your app a name!
NOTE: If you forget to name your app, or if you accidentally close it before you're finished, it will automatically be saved to the Drafts section in LUMOplay's Motion Maker, so you can edit it again.
Publishing your Fog Reveal app
Playmaker: When you're ready to publish your app to your account, Click Publish and confirm. You will not be able to edit the app after it's been published.
Wait for your app to upload.
You will find your app in the APPS list in your LUMOplay software. If you can't find it right away, use the search field to look for it by name. It will be available to every license in your account.
Playground & Free: Upload your app to save a copy to the LUMOplay server. You will be able to continue editing your app until you purchase it.
Each time you upload your app, you will be given an option to purchase it or upgrade to LUMO Playmaker and publish an unlimited number of Motion Maker apps.
When you're ready to purchase your app, you can click Purchase and you will be redirected to LUMOplay.com and prompted to log in. When you're logged in, you will be taken directly to the cart page to purchase your app.
Once the app has been purchased, it will appear in your APPS list in your LUMOplay software, and you will be able to search for it by name.
Still have questions? Contact us!