What is a 'particle image' effect?
Particle Image is a very popular interactive effect for floor and wall projection and window displays. The effect uses fluid dynamics to create a very classy looking experience, ideal for interactive signs, video mapping or projection mapping, lighting architectural features, and experiential displays.
Great ways to use the Particle Image template
- Classy interactive signage
- Promote a sale or event
- Entertain customers waiting in line
Education & Health:
- Encourage active play
- Create a themed experience for a clinic or school
- Add an immersive sensory experience
- Add a beautiful themed effect to a wedding aisle or entryway
- Create an interactive dance floor
- Promote a tradeshow booth
How to prepare your images
All images should be saved as png files. Background, Mask, Logo, and Ghost images should be the total resolution and aspect ratio of your installation.
The Particle Image should be saved as a square (1:1) png with an alpha channel (transparent background). We recommend that the Particle Image be no larger than 100% of the height of your display.
Video backgrounds work best if they are MP4/H264 compression, and they should be rendered to match the resolution and aspect ratio of your installation display. Videos that are a seamless loop under 60 seconds in length will look best.
If you want to add background audio to your effect, you can add looped audio to the video.
How to use the LUMOplay Motion Maker Particle Image template
We recommend connecting your final installation display to your computer as a second monitor so you can preview your final app on the intended display. If you have a full LUMOplay installation connected to your computer (including a display and a camera), you will be able to test your app as you build it.
1. Open LUMOplay, select Motion Maker from the left menu, and click Create next to the Particle Image template.
2. When the template launches, give your app a name and click anywhere on the grey bar marked Overlays to open the first menu. (NOTE: the tools may look different on your computer, particularly if you are using multiple monitors.)
3. Click the folder icon underneath each item to choose the appropriate image. All overlay images are optional. The Idle image will appear on the screen when no one is interacting. It can be used as a call-to-action (ie: Move to Play) or to display a message or logo when no one is playing.
4. If you'd like to make your projected image a custom shape, you can upload a Mask image. In the image above, the Mask image is a soft black rectangle that is transparent in the middle. This prevents the edges of the effect from cutting off abruptly.
5. Open the Background menu and click the folder icon to choose your background image or video.
6. Open the Particles menu and click the folder icon to add your particle image. This image will be used as a map to emit glowing particles, and the colors are sampled directly from the image. Use the sliders to adjust the particle velocity, emitter size, and particle appearance and behaviour. Remember to test your changes as you go. If you don't have a touchscreen or interactive projection system connected to your design machine, you can use your mouse to test the particle behaviour as you make changes.
7. Open the Ghost Image menu. This image is used to retain some definition to your particle image, and should be saved in the full resolution of your display (unlike the previous image, which should be saved as a square (1:1) aspect ratio). Use the sliders to adjust the size of the Ghost Image so it matches the Particle Image, and adjust the transparency until you like the way it looks.
NOTE: If you forget to name your app, or if you accidentally close it before you're finished, it will automatically be saved to the Drafts section in LUMOplay's Motion Maker, so you can edit it again.
Publishing your Particle Image app
Playmaker: When you're ready to publish your app to your account, click Publish and confirm. You will not be able to edit the app once it's published.
Wait for the app to upload.
You will find your app in the APPS list in your LUMOplay software. If you can't find it right away, use the search field to look for it by name. It will be available to every license in your account.
Playground & Free: Upload your app to save a copy to the LUMOplay server. You will be able to continue editing your app until you purchase it.
Each time you upload your app, you will be given an option to purchase it or upgrade to LUMO Playmaker and publish an unlimited number of Motion Maker apps.
When you are ready to purchase your app, you can click Purchase and you will be redirected to LUMOplay.com and prompted to log in. When you're logged in, you will be taken directly to the cart page to purchase your app.
Once the app has been purchased, it will appear in your APPS list in your LUMOplay software, and you will be able to search for it by name.
Still have questions? Contact us!