What is a 'scatter' effect?
Scatter is a very popular interactive effect for floor and wall projection and window displays. The effect is considered a type of 'reveal', in that you are hiding an image or video behind a collection of small images that move away when touch or movement is detected. The background image or video is revealed briefly, and hidden again when movement or touch interactivity stops.
Great ways to use the Scatter template
- Reveal a logo or brand in a playful way (i.e. branded bottle caps scatter to reveal a cola brand)
- Promote a sale or event
- Entertain customers waiting in line
Education & Health:
- Encourage active play
- Create a themed experience for a clinic or school
- Support curriculum activities (i.e. hide different types of animals, letters of the alphabet, countries for children to 'find' while moving on an interactive floor or waving or touching an interactive wall or table)
- Add a beautiful themed effect to a wedding aisle or entryway
- Create an interactive dance floor
- Promote a tradeshow booth
How to prepare your images
All images should be saved as png files. Background, Mask and Logo images should be made with the final resolution and aspect ratio of your installation display in mind.
The Mask, Idle, Logo, and Particle images should be saved as png with an alpha channel (transparent background). We recommend that particle images be no larger than 300px square, but this is your choice.
Video backgrounds work best if they are MP4/H264 compression, and they should be rendered to match the resolution and aspect ratio of your installation display. Videos that are a seamless loop under 60s in length will perform best.
We recommend that videos be under 500MBs for smooth performance. The limit for all assets combined is 1GB, but each template produces a slightly different size by default based on the template itself and the other assets included.
If you want to add background audio to your effect, you can add looped audio to the video.
How to use the LUMOplay Motion Maker Scatter template
We recommend connecting your final installation display to your computer as a second monitor so you can preview your final app on the intended display. If you have a full LUMOplay installation connected to your computer (including a display and a camera), you will be able to test your app as you build it.
1. Open LUMOplay, select Motion Maker from the left menu, and click Create next to the Scatter template.
2. When the template launches, give your app a name and click anywhere on the grey bar marked Overlays to open the first menu. (NOTE: the tools may look different on your computer, particularly if you are using multiple monitors.)
3. Click the folder icon underneath each item to choose the appropriate image. All overlay images are optional. The Idle image will appear on the screen when no one is interacting. It can be used as a call-to-action (i.e. Move to Play) or to display a message or logo when no one is playing.
4. If you'd like to make your projected image a custom shape, you can upload a Mask image. In the image below, the Mask image is a soft black outline with blades of grass. The Mask image sits on top of everything else except the Idle Image. You can also add a Logo image.
5. Open the Background menu and click the folder icon to choose your background image or video.
6. Open the Particles menu and click the folder icon to add your particle images. Use the sliders to adjust the particle size and behaviour. Remember to test your changes as you go. If you don't have a touchscreen or interactive projection system connected to your design machine, you can use your mouse to test the particle behaviour as you make changes.
7. Open the Idle Animation menu. The Idle Animation can be used to create an eye-catching motion when your display is not in use. You can turn it off or adjust the movement amount and speed. When you're finished, click Save and close the template by clicking the X or hitting esc. Don't forget to give your app a name!
NOTE: If you forget to name your app, or if you accidentally close it before you're finished, it will automatically be saved to the Drafts section in LUMOplay's Motion Maker, so you can edit it again.
Publishing your Scatter app
Playmaker: When you're ready to publish your app to your account, click Publish and confirm. Once the app is published, you will no longer be able to edit it.
Wait for the app to upload.
You will find your app in the APPS list in your LUMOplay software. If you can't find it right away, use the search field to look for it by name. It will be available to every license in your account.
Playground & Free: Upload your app to save a copy to the LUMOplay server. You will be able to continue editing your app until you purchase it.
Each time you upload your app, you will be given an option to purchase it or upgrade to LUMO Playmaker and publish an unlimited number of Motion Maker apps.
When you are ready to purchase your app, you can click Purchase and you will be redirected to LUMOplay.com and prompted to log in. When you're logged in, you will be taken directly to the cart page to purchase your app.
Once the app has been purchased, it will appear in your APPS list in your LUMOplay software, and you will be able to search for it by name.
Still have questions? Contact us!