What is a 'Wall Attack' game?
Wall Attack is an extremely popular and versatile interactive wall game. This template can be used to produce interactive wall games that can be played by throwing balls, waving in front of, or touching any wall. These games will work with any projector set up according to our wall setup instructions.
Great ways to use the Wall Attack template
- Display a logo or brand in a playful way
- Entertain customers waiting in line or at pop-up and seasonal retail displays
- Increase customer dwell time, especially in family retail and sports stores and restaurants
Education & Health:
- Encourage active, social, and collaborative play
- Create a themed experience for a clinic or school
- Develop large muscle movement and coordination
- Add a beautifully themed game for a tradeshow or pop-up - a great way to give away swag!
- Create a themed game for seasonal and promotional events
- Encourage social image and video sharing (this game is extremely Instagram friendly)
How to prepare your images
This app requires additional graphics. We highly recommend downloading the graphics used in this tutorial to use as a reference when designing your own graphics.
Images should be saved as png files. Background, Mask, Logo, Game Start, and Game Over images should be made at the full, final resolution and aspect ratio of your installation display.
All images should be saved as pngs with an alpha channel (transparent background). The following size recommendations are for 1920 x 1080 displays, and can be adjusted for higher or lower resolutions.
Particles: 90 x 90 to 230 x 230 (does not need to be square)
Life Indicator: 320 x 450
Characters: 600 x 600 (does not need to be square)
Portal: 600 x 600 (should be square)
Video backgrounds work best if they are MP4/H264 compression, and they should be rendered to match the resolution and aspect ratio of your installation display. Videos that are a seamless loop under 60s in length will perform best. We recommend that videos be under 500MBs for smooth performance.
Audio should be .mp3 format. Looped game audio and sound effect audio is customizable.
The limit for all assets combined is 1GB, but each template produces a slightly different size by default based on the template itself and the other assets included.
If you want to add background audio to your effect, you can add looped audio to the video.
How to use the LUMOplay Motion Maker Wall Attack template
We recommend connecting your final installation display to your computer as a second monitor so you can preview your final app on the intended display. If you have a full LUMOplay installation connected to your computer (including a display and a camera), you will be able to test your app as you build it.
1. Open LUMOplay, select Motion Maker from the left menu, and click Create next to the Wall Attack template.
2. When the template launches, give your app a name and click anywhere on the grey bar marked Overlays to open the first menu. (NOTE: the tools may look different on your computer, particularly if you are using multiple monitors.)
3. Click the folder icon underneath each item to choose the appropriate image. The Life Indicator image is the only required customization. All overlay images are optional. The Idle image will appear on the screen when no one is interacting. Note that this image will be positioned in the center of the screen, so it will cover the game title unless you leave space in the center. It can be used as a call-to-action (i.e. Move to Play) or to display an animated message or logo when no one is playing.
4. If you'd like to make your projected image a custom shape, you can upload a Mask image. This example does not use a Mask. The Mask image sits on top of everything else except the Idle Image. You can also add a Logo image.
5. Open the Game Screens menu and click the folder icon to replace the game start and end titles.
You should see the game start image.
6. Open the Background menu and click the blue folder icon to replace the background with an image or video.
7. Open the Characters menu and choose your character and portal graphics. You can select multiple character graphics at one time.
Move your mouse to the game area and click and drag to start the game. Adjust the portal size, character size, speed, and spawn rate until you are satisfied with the game difficulty.
For wall-ball games, the spawn rate and speed are typically lower and the size is higher to make it easier to hit the characters with balls. For touch / waving games, the spawn rate and speed should be higher and the size should be smaller to increase the difficulty.
8. Open the Particles menu and choose your particle graphics.
Use your mouse in the game play area to test the particles and adjust their size, speed, and density until you are satisfied with the particle effect.
9. Open the Audio menu and choose your game audio and sound effects audio clips.
10. Open the Score menu and choose your font style, score color and outline color. Fonts included in this template are provided in the downloadable template graphics folder.
When you're finished, click Save and close the template by clicking the X or hitting esc. Don't forget to give your app a name!
NOTE: If you forget to name your app, or if you accidentally close it before you're finished, it will automatically be saved to the Drafts section in LUMOplay's Motion Maker, so you can edit it again.
Publishing your Wall Attack app
Playmaker: When you're ready to publish your app to your account, click Publish and confirm. You will not be able to edit the app after it's been published.
Wait for your app to upload. You will see a message when the app is successfully published.
You will find your app in the APPS list in your LUMOplay software. If you can't find it right away, use the search field to look for it by name. It will be available to every license in your account.
Playground & Free: Upload your app to save a copy to the LUMOplay server. You will be able to continue editing your app until you purchase it.
Each time you upload your app, you will be given an option to purchase it or upgrade to LUMO Playmaker and publish an unlimited number of Motion Maker apps.
When you are ready to purchase your app, you can click Purchase and you will be redirected to LUMOplay.com and prompted to log in. When you're logged in, you will be taken directly to the cart page to purchase your app.
Once the app has been purchased, it will appear in your APPS list in your LUMOplay software, and you will be able to search for it by name.
Still have questions? Contact us!
Please sign in to leave a comment.